It has been so nice here that we’ve been able to get out and do some fun stuff already! I’m so excited for spring and summer because there are so many fun things to do outside and get rid of that cabin fever! Today I want to share some of the things to invest in when you have kids because once you have them, there are countless activities you can do as a family and then you won’t have to constantly be paying for them! Plus it will help keep your family active and teach them good habits right from the start!
1. Jogging Stroller – This has been my favorite thing so far since we had Little Roper. It allows me to workout, go for a run or just take a nice long walk and then I don’t have to be hunched over and he can sit comfortably as well. I used it as I was training for a half marathon and it is awesome for theme parks and other places we will be hanging around all day because of the storage basket in the bottom.
2. Bike Trailer – Even before we had Little Roper, Cowboy and I loved going biking. We just have mountain bikes and go in our shorts and t-shirts but it’s still a lot of fun. Last fall, we bought a bike trailer which is awesome! Little Roper loves it because he has a ton of room and with a little bag of snacks, he’s in heaven. The two features I love the most about the one we bought is that it can fold up completely, making it nice for putting in the back of my small car, and it comes with a third wheel so I can push it like my jogging stroller.
3. Hiking Backpack – Hiking is really high on my list of things that I love to do. And I enjoy just about every minute of it, as opposed to running when I’m just counting down the minutes or steps until I’m done. We started out with a backpack that was uncomfortable for us and for Little Roper, which made it difficult to hike because we would have to switch off carrying him and were pretty much dead once we made it up to the finish. We bought this backpack before going to the Grand Tetons last year and it was amazing how much more comfortable the straps were for us, the seat was for him and how much storing space there was in back for any snacks, drinks, etc.
4. Roller Blades – No, we’re not saying you have to pull out your 90’s clothes to match with the roller blades but these are super fun! I’m saying this even though I look like I’m trying to cross the ice in high heels (not that that ever happens anyway!) and stopping or slowing down for me is a major production. It’s fun because I’m getting a workout in but I can do it with my family and since Cowboy played hockey, he can pretty much skate circles, squares and any other shape around me. Plus we can use the stroller or the bike trailer for these fun adventures!
5. Camping Supplies – One of the things I loved as a kid was going camping. When we got older it got harder and harder to go because all three of us kids were playing sports and had tournaments on weekends and games during the week. Cowboy and I got a few items for our wedding and we’ve added a few things here and there to make camping a ton of fun. It’s a great way to bond as a family plus you can make the trip super cheap! The basics are: a tent, sleeping bags, lantern, camp stove, camp utensils.
What are some things you like to use outdoors that were an investment?